Monday, January 28, 2019

Testing a theory

Gerald Costanzo
Poet Gerald Costanzo has written a series of poems the last lines of which are the first lines of favorite mystery novels by John D. MacDonald, George C. Chesbro and others. At a Writers in Paradise reading last week in St. Petersburg I got the opportunity to hear him read some of those clever poems. And so I found myself thinking again about first lines versus last lines.

A week ago in my review of Famous Last Lines by Daniel Grogan I argued that first lines are more likely to be memorable, and thus more famous, than last lines. This may not be true in poetry, but I think it is in novels. Costanzo apparently agrees for he chose the first lines of mystery novels, not their last lines, for his poems.

I challenged readers last week to compare the first lines and last lines of any novels at hand to determine which seems more memorable. So why not do that myself? Here then are the first and lines lines of some novels I've read recently.

The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak

First line: My mother was convinced I'd die young.

Last line: And just like that we were back in business.

My comment: No question here. The first line wins.

Tiny Americans by Devin Murphy

First line: In the fall of 1978, our father brought home a stack of books from the library on activities to do with us kids as an attempt to get himself sober.

Last line: Terrance bent into Lewis's arms and knew he would endlessly re-create this day in his mind, and that the effort would take the memory of all his days to do it justice.

My comment: Seems like a tie to me. Both lines are special.

Doc by Mary Doria Russell

First line: He began to die when he was twenty-one, but tuberculosis is slow and sly and subtle.

Last line: Calypso did the best she could.

My comment: First line wins again. No contest.

Miss Julia Inherits a Mess by Ann B. Ross

First line: "Julia!" Barely catching her breath, LuAnne Conover started talking as soon as I answered the phone.

Last line: So, since he asked, I told him.

My comment: Neither line is notable, but the first is certainly more interesting.

Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman

First line: It was said that boys should go on their first sea voyage at the age of ten, but surely this notion was never put forth by anyone's mother.

Last line: "We'll see if it's any good."

My comment: First line wins in a landslide.

New York by Edward Rutherfurd

First line: So this was freedom

Last line: Imagine. Freedom. Always.

My comment: What's notable here, which I didn't notice while reading this 860-page novel, is that the last line echos the first. By themselves, neither line is very good. Together they excel.

I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment