Wednesday, June 5, 2019

What makes the cut?

When people compose lists of books they would want with them on their proverbial desert islands, these lists are usually just 10 books long. (I can remember once making such a list, but the only entry I recall is Winnie-the-Pooh.) Ten books to last, perhaps, for the rest of one’s life.? They had better be good ones. And long ones. (Winnie meets one of those criteria.)

In Books for Living, Will Schwalbe tells of a bibliophile friend who, upon nearing 80, decided to keep only 100 books. Whenever he wanted to keep a new book, he forced himself to surrender one of the 100.

I am still a few years shy of 80, although a birthday this week reminded me of how close I am getting. Either 10 books or 100 seems ridiculously limiting. I have 74 books just in the small bookcase beside me. They would last me for about nine months. Even so, books, like money, cannot be taken with you. A shrinking lifestyle (and lifespan) necessitates a shrinking library, if only out of kindness to one's heirs. Reducing one’s library (whether to 10 books, 100 or 1,000) involves answering certain questions.

Books read or books unread?

Obviously some of each. Some books you’ve already read and loved are sure-things. You are likely to love them again. (Even mysteries can be read more than once because we hardly ever remember who the murderer is.) But we can’t give up all those books we are dying to read, especially those recently purchased.

Fiction or nonfiction?

Fiction tends to dominate desert-island lists, and I think it will be more likely to survive my weeding. With a few exceptions, nonfiction books are rarely read a second time.

Old books or newer books?

The longer we own something, the more sentiment attached to it. I have ragged books from my college years I cannot bear to part with, nor would I accept new editions of the same books. And some of the old books I love have no newer editions. Yet I love new books too. I love their smell, their cleanness and crispness. So, again, some of each.

Reference books?

Probably few, but some. I couldn’t manage without a good print dictionary. Some Bible references are essential. I like a good atlas, even if I rarely open it. I sometimes consult my book of home remedies. But I will say goodbye to most of my reference books. I hear there’s something called Google.

Coffee table books?

No coffee table in the world would hold all my coffee table books. When I reviewed books for my newspaper, I would get several coffee table books each year, usually a few weeks before Christmas. I now buy one or more such books a year, also usually just before Christmas when they are often on sale. So I have hundreds. Many are beautiful, but I doubt most will make the cut.

Signed books?

If I wouldn’t keep a book that was unsigned, I doubt I would keep it just because the author signed it. There are, however, books that have letters tucked inside them from authors responding to my reviews. These I may keep.

Rare books?

I have few books of great value, and those I am more likely to want to sell than keep. I can use the money. The problem is finding a buyer. And do I keep them until I find a buyer?

Trim book collection to fit new space limitations or rent a storage unit?

If I choose the second option, I might not have to get rid of so many books. I’m liking the sound of that.

In any case, Winnie-the-Pooh stays.

No comments:

Post a Comment