Monday, September 16, 2019

Unread books

While listening to my car radio recently, I heard the host of a local talk show say he was celebrating 50+ years on radio. When the subject of gifts for the occasion came up, his immediate response was, “Don’t give me any books. I already have six books I haven’t read.”

Just six books he hasn’t read? I must have at least 600 books I haven’t read. Probably a lot more. I know I won’t live long enough to read them all, but that doesn’t keep me from acquiring more. I suspect the real reason he doesn’t want any gift books is that he just doesn’t like reading that much.

Yet I must agree with him, for I wouldn't want gift books either, not because I already have so many books to read but because nobody else can know what I might want to read. And I hate feeling obligated to read books other people think I should read or might like. Rarely have I enjoyed books given to me as gifts, unless I had previously expressed an interest in them. Bookstore gift cards are another matter. I always enjoy book shopping with other people’s money.

Now as for all those unread books, I see them as an incentive to live a long, long time. Some people will themselves to live to celebrate their 90th birthday or to see their grandchildren graduate from high school. I want to live long enough to read Bleak House. And I’m in no hurry to read Bleak House.

No comments:

Post a Comment