Monday, May 8, 2023

Writing and editing

This is a lesson I picked up from my work: writing must be separate from editing, and if you try to do both things at the same time, nothing will get done.

Ann Patchett, These Precious Days

Ann Patchett
Novelist Ann Patchett has a lot to say about writing in These Precious Days, her most recent book of essays, but the essay from which the quotation above comes is not actually about writing. Called "How to Practice," it is mostly about sorting through all the stuff in her house and getting rid of as much of it as she can. Just as she separates writing from editing, she separates decisions about what goes from the decisions about where it goes.

I agree with Patchett, at least about the writing and editing comment, but not entirely. In my own experience, some editing must be done during the writing. This can make the writing better.

My practice when I have been away from my writing for a day or more is to start reading it from the beginning. If were writing a novel, as Patchett does, I would probably start reading from the beginning of the current chapter. While I read, I edit. I almost invariably discover something that needs improving or correcting or I come up with new ideas that need to be included. Often after making a change, I begin reading it again from the beginning, usually making more changes.

Eventually I get to the point where I stopped previously and I can resume writing. This process not only improves whatever I am writing, but it inspires my thoughts when I pick up the writing where I left off. Otherwise I find it difficult to muster up any enthusiasm for what I'm working on.

After I have completed the writing process, I begin the real editing process. Ideally this should happen after the passage of at least a few days to allow me to read it with fresh eyes. This makes it easier to notice typos and other errors, as well as any awkward phrasing that I missed earlier.

Editing, except when done by an actual editor, is part of the writing process. They go together, even if they may be two different tasks done separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment